Displaying the true spirit of "land of the free/home of the brave" is the woman I'll call "Miss Liberty" who my husband and I initially encountered 4 days earlier 'sans camera' in below-zero wind chill temperatures and introduced in my previous blog post--this time, it was 25 degrees WARMER!
| Miss Liberty--thinking: "I'm cold, bored, and I look ridiculous!" |
| Miss Liberty after seeing me: "You're NOT going to put my picture on the internet are you?"... Me: "OK, but only if you promise that I'll get a tax refund this year." |
| Friends for Life! You guessed it--I AM putting her picture on the internet AND I'm NOT getting a tax refund this year! |
Speaking of costumes and humor in the "land of the free/home of the brave," this year is the 100th Anniversary of the Bay to Breakers 12K race that will take place on Sunday, May 15, 2011 in San Francisco, CA. This "race" is more like a rolling party and is famous for it's costumed runners, "centipedes" (13 runners, often in costume, running the entire course tied together), and LARGE participation (100,000, including unregistered runners, at it's peak in the 1980's). Most people run it for fun, and, unless you are in the very front with the elite runners, going for a PR is like trying to weave and dodge your way through a "crazy human" obstacle course. And if you do focus on your time, in addition to getting totally "stressed-out" and frustrated, you will miss out on one of the most unique running experiences on earth. It's not for everyone, but if you want to have an opportunity to behave and dress (or not dress) however you want in an almost "anything goes" atmosphere for 12K and not get arrested or frowned upon (most everyone is laughing and having a grand time) then be sure to sign up for this race before it closes for registration (this is the first year that they are limiting registered participants--to ONLY 50,000 runners). You'll also want to avoid getting stuck in the last "corral', as, in recent years, there have been more problems with the not-so-fun side of alcohol and rowdy human behavior as part of the "backside" of this event. Also, be sure to spend some time watching the slower runners/walkers come in after you finish to see a ton of costumed and more than a few clothing-less :) runners/walkers parade themselves to the finish. If you go into it with patience, tolerance, and a party mentality, it can be a blast.
Riding on BART's Special Early Sunday train for B2B Runner's |
| At the start. I love the Carrot costume! |
![]() |
| Hubby & me at the start. I am wearing the Punk Rock Racing hat that my cool friend, RON, who is an IRONMAN, gave me. |
![]() |
| I had no idea that Ron's PRR HAT would be strategically located at the bottom of the picture--I just raised the camera facing backwards above my head while moving and pressed the button! I didn't want to turn around in order to take pictures of the "free and brave!" ---unlike the people taking pics in the photo below! |
![]() |
| This race probably sets a record for the number of people walking backwards taking pictures... ...as well as for the number of naked people walking/running forward who end up in those pictures! |
Raising my arms in victory--almost at the top of the Hayes St. hill--no, Ron, I didn't "ditch" or lose your hat, I just got hot on the hill. Note: we were nowhere near the front and there were still people as far back as you could see--an amazing view--you really need to be there in the midst of it all to truly appreciate it. For over a decade in the 1980's and beyond, someone who lived here would play the "Rocky" theme song from their home through huge speakers... it was exhilarating! I was a bit bummed that it is now a "thing of the past." |
| More finishers. My favorite costumed runner, the "Carrot" is almost there! |
| The guy carried the costume holding wooden handles in his hands the entire 12K! |
| Celebrating with Gary while watching the others come in |
I haven't decided if I'll be running B2B this year, but, if I do, hope to see a lot of you there!
And if I am not there, it might be because I have become a test subject for cryogenics after tomorrow and Wednesday's potentially catastrophic ice and snow storm.
Have fun and run well, Ann



I've heard great things about B2B, but I think I'm done with road racing, at least for a while. Would love to spectate, though!
ReplyDeleteI ran B2B in 1991 (yep, I'm OLD!) - what an interesting ordeal. Loved the naked guy next to me just freely flopping around. Back then, I was like so freaked over something like this. Oh the age of the innocent me. Hahah!
ReplyDeleteKovas--I think you're the smart one, sticking to trails. Gee, why on earth would you want to spectate??? :))))
ReplyDeleteJill --Hmmm.... If you say you're "OLD!" because you ran B2B in 1991, what does that make me, having run it in the early-mid 1980's??? I guess "OldER and wiser!"
I would need more clothing than that if I was there in your weather.
ReplyDeleteB2B. Such a crazy race with all the costumes, the naked runners, the bars on wheels, the floats and the elites in the front. For such a party race it has quite a competitive field up front. My biggest complaint is that there are not enough porta potties along the route, that and the runners that shouldn't be naked. I've walked it twice but I haven't been in awhile.
Thanks for stopping by! I love your kinds words in my mailbox each time!
ReplyDeleteI'm finally running B2B this year! Sadly, didn't register in time and did not make the first corral. Oh well, tons of people I know are running it and I'll just have to sneak in! I hope register soon!
Brazen is doing a Bay Breeze half/10K/5K on the 19th, would love to see you there!
Have a wonderful week!
-Katie
Thanks for your kind words on my blog.
ReplyDeleteThe B2B looks like a real riot. The carrot guy reminds me of a guy we have here in Joisey, named Larry the Lighthouse. I myself have never had the pleasure of running a race with LtL, but everyone in Joisey knows of him.
I can't even imagine running while wearing something like that, tho.
Rick--you'd defnitely "need more clothing than that"...but, also...YOU would have to make sure that it wasn't put on inside out :))) !!!
ReplyDeleteKatie--thanks!--I emailed you about "sneaking in." Sorry i can't run with you on the 19th :(.
Glaven--"Larry the Lighthouse" is hilarious! Thanks for the picture link. Great to hear from you. BTW, your references to "Joisey" and the Phily area make me curious--my Hubby is from South Jersey...you must be from around there, too? Email me...