Feb 11 : Low temp of MINUS 2 degrees F on top of the coldest December-January on record. Global Warming? Really?
Feb 18 : record high temp of 66 degrees F. This winter’s perpetual snow cover is starting to melt. I am starting to believe that the earth isn’t going to turn into a Big White Ball.
Feb 21: : 9 inches of snow. I become a “Big White Ball Theory” convert.
| Looking left out our front door |
| Looking right out our front door |
| Further up the driveway--now you can see why I can walk 3 miles just to clear the snow! |
I’m ahead of the “game” to run/walk 1200 miles minimum for the year J.
Last Sunday was my birthday. An uneventful day for the most part, as we spent it traveling as part of a business/family visit trip, but, without planning it, I walked 5.3 miles--my age with a decimal point in between the numbers. I thought “, hmmm, that’s interesting.” Then, a few days later, a local cyclist, who was a source of inspiration for me, died after a couple of years of deteriorating health. Until then, Ted was active with the local cycling club and rode his bike more miles each year than many avid cyclists half his age. Each year, on or around his birthday, he would ride his age in miles. I still remember the day years back when he rode 75 miles for his 75th birthday--talk about inspirational! He also would show up as the oldest rider to race with the rest of us at a local cycling road race, and, although he often finished alone, he finished nonetheless, and quitting was never an option to him.
In the darkness of the moment of learning of his death, a light bulb went on for me that revealed the relevance of that 5.3 mile walk on my birthday--that I celebrate life with each year forward by walking or running the “decimal equivalent” of my age and/or cycling my age in miles. I would love to be able to ride 75 miles on my 75th birthday just like Ted did. Thanks for the inspiration, Ted--may you Ride In Peace.
I'll be off to CA late next week to test my Big White Ball Theory......
If I'm wrong, I'll see these.....
.....and be able to do this:
| Running in Joseph D. Grant Park, Bay Area, CA (May 2009) |
Remember to Celebrate Life Each Day! Ann
First - Happy Birthday! ZOMG, sister, you're actually OLDER than I am! By two whole years!1! How's it goin', granny! Hahahahahaha! Just kiddin'!
ReplyDeleteI am in total agreement with your "live each day" philosophy. This may be all we have. Maybe not, but if it is ... why waste it? As Jim Morrison said, "No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn."
I like the Ted story. I did a 5k a few years ago and after it was over, or I thought it was, we waited around and waited around for the awards ... but there was this 81 year-old guy named Bill who took nearly an hour to finish. Basically, he walked it. He had just recovered from open heart surgery - had had a pacemaker implanted, in fact. We were all standing at the finish line cheering him on when he crossed, over an hour after the start.
I've seen him at other races, since then - his 5k time down to about 45 minutes now. Pretty inspirational. The guy's 30 years older than I am - what have I got to complain about?
Finally, your comment on my blog. Thanks. Yes, I like it when people make the slog. I think your comment was insightful. I intend to post today, but I'll try to be less taxing on foax's nerves. I never intend to be. Just works out that way sometimes, it seems ...
Happy birthday! Global warming should result in more extreme weather, hence more snow, more cold, more hot days, etc. Beautiful shots of the snow, but warm weather is around the corner!
ReplyDeleteWow. No really wow. Those pics were so amazing. Such a different world than where I live (S.D.). Beautiful pics of the snow. I say in advance: Welcome to California.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures!
ReplyDeleteI think you will be wrong and you will be seeing bright skies and blooming flowers next week. What are you coming out here for?
Ann, first and foremost...Happy Belated Birthday. Wow! Awesome pics that you shared with us. Hopefully, the weather will indeed be beautiful this coming week. We've had some strange weather here lately. Please take care.
ReplyDeleteA very belated Happy Birthday, girl!! Gorgeous pictures...but really, enough of the snow huh? Hopefully you'll see sunshine and flowers in California!! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone for all of your comments.
ReplyDeleteIt's March 7th, and we just got another big snow dump--at least as big as the last one, which, BTW, I really thought would be the LAST one! So, deja vu.....I'll be posting pics of this storm soon, too. They are a bit more colorful because of blue skies, which made clearing difficult because things were melting and the snow got VERY heavy :(. Have a nice week everyone, and hope to see some of you soon. My "Big White Ball Theory" is still intact :)))
Happy WAY belated birthday from your asshole friend.
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are truly gorgeous. You have exceptional talent. The lupine is one of my favorite wildflowers around here.
I have a lab the morning of Diablo, but we should meet up after.