I arrive by plane into the “Earthquake Capitol” of the country. Safely.
My brain is filled with images like this:
![]() |
| Arastradero Open Space Preserve, Palo Alto, CA (February 2010) |
I look forward to basking in the sunshine that I have had so little of this winter.
I wake up to the Headline of the Day.
8.9 Magnitude Earthquake in Japan (later revised to 9.0)
Worst quake EVER for that area.
I suddenly have trouble writing the post that was planned for today.
That post will have to wait for another day.
My brain is void of words.
My brain is now filled with images like this:
The videos of the ensuing tsunami obliterating what used to be modern, developed civilization in SECONDS make my jaw drop to the ground and leave me speechless.
In the emotion of the moment, thoughts of running and feeling glum over having to change distances in tomorrow’s trail run seem selfish and trivial.
I see the images of the destruction in Japan again.
My heart goes out to the people there who were in the wrong place at the wrong time (and their families).
My heart goes out to the people there who were in the wrong place at the wrong time (and their families).
It could have been me.
But it wasn’t me.
R.r.r.r.i.n.g!?!?!
Hellooooo???
It’s the “wake up call” of life.
I am reminded of how lucky I am to have the opportunity to still make a difference in the world.
It doesn’t really matter what I do; I just need to do it.
So…..tomorrow morning I will run, walk, or crawl my way over the [ it doesn’t matter how many ] miles of trail and celebrate the opportunity that I have been graced with.
And I will go out and make a difference in the world.
Huge shout out and well-wishes to my friends, RON, and KATIE, who are running the Way Too Cool 50K tomorrow. It’s a first ultra for both Ron and Katie—you’re both going to rock this race! Also well-wishes go out to Carol who is doing the unofficial "Uncool" 50K in Marin. Carol has done too many ultras to count, always at or in the top of her age group and can do these “in her sleep.” Carol, you will shine as you always do!
[Addendum: just learned that Katie won't be running tomorrow :(--at W2C anyway (she undoubtedly will be running somewhere!). She will be going for a sub 1:30 Half-Marathon PR in Sacramento on Sunday (yeah, she's THAT FAST). Good luck Katie!
And, good luck Ron...you'll still have Katie & me as angels over each shoulder :).]
[Addendum: just learned that Katie won't be running tomorrow :(--at W2C anyway (she undoubtedly will be running somewhere!). She will be going for a sub 1:30 Half-Marathon PR in Sacramento on Sunday (yeah, she's THAT FAST). Good luck Katie!
And, good luck Ron...you'll still have Katie & me as angels over each shoulder :).]
And, finally, to Stacey (RBR) who sadly gave up her place at Way Too Cool this year because “life” and her incredible dedication to teaching got in the way, I send a big “HANG IN THERE”- your day will come.
![]() |
| Stacey and me after finishing the Summit Rock 10k (Dec 2010) Stacey is a riot, a great teacher, and a walking (running) encyclopedia of Biology |
Remember to Celebrate Life Each Day! Ann





ooooh! Those are cool running vests!
ReplyDeleteAnn, very devestating what happened in Japan. My wake up call happened in 1989 with the Loma Prieta quake here in the Bay Area. Just checked to see if my earthquake kit is up-to-date and it is.
ReplyDeleteGood luck tomorrow in the trail run.
It is horrible, what happened in Japan. So horrible.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to California, by the way. ;)
I few up in Marin and love seeing pics of No Cal. Have a wonder trip Ann.
ReplyDeleteI swear I left a comment here earlier! It got eated!
ReplyDeleteYep. I was definitely here before, in the wee hours of the morning (Little-Known Fact: Hours expand as the day goes on; Well-Known Fact: Just because you call something a fact? Doesn't make it one) and I thanked you for the jpg link you left on my blog and said that all the stuff that's happening to the poor people in Japan just makes me want to stay home and hug my kid ...
ReplyDelete... And your blog EATED that comment!1!
What the what, sister?
BETTER NOT EAT THIS ONE!1!
It didn't eat it ... YOU'RE LUCKY, sister!1!
ReplyDeleteFYI, sister: I already knew the copy-a-comment-b4-you-post trick - learned through hard experience.
ReplyDeleteProblem is I only remember to do it just before my comment DOESN'T get eated.
Like now.
See? I copied that comment:
ReplyDeleteFYI, sister: I already knew the copy-a-comment-b4-you-post trick - learned through hard experience.
Problem is I only remember to do it just before my comment DOESN'T get eated.
Like now.
So OF COURSE it didn't get eated!
I hope you're having a great trip! :)
ReplyDeleteLove the pics of you and my buddy, Katie. Her and I ran Boston together last year, so much fun!!
Looking forward to meeting you in August!! YAY!
awesome!
ReplyDelete